Prepare well for your trip abroad: what administrative procedures before departure?

By Admin Jun 11, 2023 #News
Prepare well for your trip abroad: what administrative procedures before departure?Prepare well for your trip abroad: what administrative procedures before departure?

Your travel documents

  • Identity card or passport? 

If you are traveling to a member state of the European Economic Area (as well as to Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway), your identity card is sufficient. For all other destinations, a passport will be required. Be aware that depending on the municipality, the issuance of a passport can take from one to three weeks, so don’t start too late! (There is an urgent procedure but it is extremely expensive). Also remember to check the validity date of your documents.

If you are a minor, it is best to bring parental authorization signed and certified by the municipal administration.

  • Do I need a visa? 

If you are traveling outside the European Union, it is very likely that you will also need a visa to enter and leave the country in which you are going to stay. To be sure, contact the embassy or consulate of the country where you plan to go. There are several types of visa depending on the reason for your stay (tourism, studies, work).

  • Can I drive abroad with my B license? 

Have you planned a road trip in an EU country? No problem, your B license is valid. In Switzerland, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway too, as long as you stay less than a year in the territory. For the rest of the world, it’s on a case-by-case basis. To be able to drive, you will sometimes need an international license. You can get it at the municipal administration for around 20 € . This international permit is valid for 3 years, and only works on presentation of your national permit.

Your health

  • Am I covered by my health insurance abroad? 

If you are traveling to a country of the European Union (or to Norway, Switzerland, Iceland or Liechtenstein) and need to receive medical care there, the costs can be covered on presentation of your European health insurance card (EHIC). Attention, this is only valid in the case of unforeseen care during temporary stays. You can obtain your EHIC free of charge from your health insurance fund. Most of them also offer to take out more extensive supplementary insurance. Find out about the possibilities depending on your destination.

  • Should I get vaccinated before my departure? 

Depending on your destination, some vaccines will be mandatory, others recommended. It is advisable to see your doctor at least 6 weeks before your departure  : he can check if your vaccinations are up to date, if your vaccination coverage is sufficient and will give you any necessary vaccinations.

He will give you an international vaccination certificate, which will sometimes be required to enter certain countries: you will have to present it at the same time as your identity papers.

Please note that some vaccines can only be given in approved travel medicine centres.

  • Can I travel everywhere despite the Covid-19 pandemic? 

Within the European Union, the European Covid digital certificate is legally maintained, but in practice it is no longer required to present it on arrival in most EU countries.

For the rest of the world, it is on a case-by-case basis: some countries still require a negative test and even quarantine in addition to a vaccination certificate. A few countries still have not reopened their borders to tourists.

You can check the entry requirements for each country here .

In the event of a glitch on site

As no country is immune to a crisis, it is advisable to register your trip on Travelers Online  : in the event of an emergency, the FPS Foreign Affairs may contact you to inform you or assist you in need. Your data remains strictly confidential and is deleted after your return.

By Admin

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *